Thursday, August 20, 2009

Okay, Mommies! It's Discussion Time ;)

Lately I have heard a lot about car seats and extended rear-facing (ERF). For the time being, Brendan is happy as a clam in his infant seat facing backwards, and he is showing no sign of outgrowing it any time soon. However, we will eventually need to switch to a convertible seat (we already have the Britax Marathon for when the time comes). The current requirement is to keep baby/toddler rear-facing until he/she is one, AND 20 pounds. However, the AAP has new studies showing that they are 5 times safer riding rear-facing until age two. (http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a) This is apparently a hot-topic issue, which I never realized, so I was wondering what other moms thought.

Now, before the discussion starts, I want to say that I do not necessarily always agree with the AAP. In this situation, however, I do. I figure that Brendan is on the smaller side, and while I'm sure he'd be happier facing forward, he doesn't know any better, and is safer (this coming from someone who has not "been there"). Anyway, let's discuss. Will YOU ERF?

2 comments:

  1. Yup. As you say, there's no real reason to rush them into facing forward, when they have no idea what they're missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See...I love that Brendan is a little older than Mirielle because you deal w/all these issues right before me and force me to think about them! ;) I don't know much about this, I'll have to look into it. But my gut instinct is to agree with HHRose above. Why bother facing them forward? If all they've known is the back and it's better for them...I'd say stay that way!

    ReplyDelete