Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Don't Know How Single Parents Do It.

Or parents who work crazy hours! I'm certainly glad I'm a teacher!

This week I'm VanderCooking, and I only have 12 days of it to go before I'm finished and I can graduate! Woohoo! But I catch a 6:15 AM train, MECA all day, get home at 6:15 PM, make dinner, play with Brendan and feed him for about an hour, and then he goes to bed. Not long after, I follow. Lather, rinse, repeat. I pretty much hate it. Not to mention that my little man has been sick this whole week!

Poor guy went to the doctor today and it turns out he has an ear infection. It's awful. He won't lay down without screaming, but he refuses to eat without laying down. Then he will try eating but he's so congested that he has to stop every second to take a breath :( Yes, I counted! No exaggeration! When he gets frustrated enough, he screams, and I can't tell if he's screaming because he can't eat, or because the position he's in hurts his ears, or some combination of the two. I'm thinking some combination of the two. It's breaking my heart. I literally cried tonight when I couldn't make him better.

To add more chaos, Chris is sick too. He has whatever cold is going around, but he's just as miserable as Brendan, and because I'm at VanderCook all day, he's definitely been getting a lot of extra work. I think this is taking a toll on him and I feel so bad about that. I hope this passes for both of them fast. Poor guys!

For all my VanderCook buddies who have not taken their MECAs yet, I have some unsolicited advice. Unless you have no choice, please don't take the "Innovative Approches for General Music K-5." Serious waste of time. The teacher is driving me absolutely bonkers, I'm learning nothing innovative, and there's not near enough actual music involved, in my opinion. I decided this yesterday when we were drawing pictures with colored sand in total silence and she suggested this as a possible activity to do with our kids in music class.

Seriously.

4 comments:

  1. Um...colored sand?
    SILENCE???
    Okay.
    She might even be worse than Lois... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story. I'm worried about Lois' class, though. Two other music teachers I TOTALLY respect and you, who I also TOTALLY respect felt she was ridiculous. The bads are outweighing the goods at this point. Ugh. I just want to be DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm cracking up picturing the mess and chaos that would be happening when doing that with elementary kids instead of adults. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog.
    -Me

    ReplyDelete